Each CP has several AI defense units around it, which serve as a light deterrent to surprise attacks.
Generally, AI defenders will be found covering the main avenues of approach to any CP and will also cover surround the CP, though there are gaps in the coverage. The AI generally face N, S, E, and W and in most places are oriented to cover the road approaches. There are however some towns that have AI which face other directions.
Certain types of towns will have larger numbers, and higher qualities, of AI defenses. A small town may only posses a single AAA AI machine gun in the Army Base, whereas a town with an airfield and docks will often be ringed with heavy flak defenses.
How it Works
Depending on the type of AI the characteristics are different.
- Anti-Air AI will detect and fire at enemy forces regardless of the direction of approach.
- Anti-Tank, ship, and infantry AI will detect approaching enemy within a 70 degree arc based off of the center of direction facing.
AI defenses have 2 ranges:
- Detection Range - The AI defense will begin to 'twitch' when enemy forces enter the detection rage. This twitching can be used as an indicator that enemy forces are in the area
- Engagement Range - When enemy forces enter the range of the AI weapon, it will begin to fire in the general direction of the approaching force.
When triggered the AI will randomly fire in the general direction of approaching enemy troops. While first burst hits are not common, if under fire from an AI you need to move as eventually either the AI will hit you, or enemy forces will find you.
The type of weapon used by the AI is determined by the country that owns the facility the AI is connected to. For instance, when the facility is controlled by Germany, the machine gunners will have the MG34.
AI can be destroyed with a grenade, HE satchel charge, HE rounds from armored vehicles, bombs, and if you are in a fighter you can use your MGs to take it out but its quite hard. AI can be rebuilt with the engineer by utilizing the repair kit. 1 Kit will repair 1 AI position.
Understanding Battleground Europe's AI Guns
- They Don't Come to You - You have to walk, drive, or fly into their field of fire. Don't get mad at them, understand and avoid them.
- Types of AI - There are 3 Types of AI. Anti Personal - Anti Tank - Anti Aircraft.
- AI Characters - AI Characters are determined by ownership - British, French, German, or American. Weapons are all about the same.
- Repairing AI - AI self repairs or can be repaired by an Engineer with 2 repair kits.
- Death by AI - Death by AI results in killed by "Enemy Forces" in your AAR.
- On Defense - Watch the AI Gunners for movement, they can alert you to an enemy presence.
- On Offense - Always check the map when spawning from a FRU, AI positions are marked and can be avoided.
- Approaching Any City - Most roads approaching cities are covered by Anti Tank and Anti Personal AI. Approaching from a 45 degree angle is usually safer.
AI Field of Fire
Below is an image of Hirson with AI field of fire zones illustrated.
Use this image to visualize the AI field of fire at any city anytime you open the map.
AI guns can always be flanked.
AI field of fire is approximately a 70 degree arc.
The Anti Personal LMG's have a range of 150 meters, the Anti tank guns are at 800 meters.
Anti Tank Gun - Green - Anti Personal LMG - Red
Identifying AI Guns on the In Game Map
The AI on the in game map is a top down view of the position. The artwork is small and difficult to make out, but is readable.
MG Tower - Look for the dark "L" shape the top of the L is the front
MG Pit 1 - Look for the dark blob on the left side
MG Pit 2 - Difficult to read this one, its 50 50 which way its pointing
AT Pit - This ones easy, very visible
AA Pit 1 - 360 degrees
AAA Pit 1 - 360 degrees
AAA Pit 2 - 360 degrees
AAA Pit 3 - 360 degrees
In the enlarged image below each of the AI and their direction of fire are indicated.
There are currently 6 types of AI defenses in the game.
|Type||Image||Alt Type Image|
|Anti-Aircraft Artillery - Flack Guns|
|Anti-Aircraft - Machine Gun|
|Anti-Personnel (machine gunners)
|Anti-Personnel (Machine Gunners)
- Fighting Position